July 29, 2020
Overnight booking restrictions are shortened to be from 12a-6a. Members may contact us during the day make special requests for bookings during this time. Face masks and use of hand sanitizer are still required for all Ithaca Carshare drivers and passengers while inside the vehicles. Hand sanitizer is provided in each vehicle.
July 3, 2020
As the Southern Tier enters Phase 4 of the New York Forward plan, Ithaca Carshare vehicles may be used for visits to the testing site at the Shops at Ithaca Malls when all passengers of the vehicle are asymptomatic and have had no known or potential exposures to COVID-19 for 14 days. Examples include essential workers who are getting tested for work or to fulfill pre-surgical testing requirements.
Follow the links below for full details about how the Center for Community Transportation is acting in accordance with NYS Department of Health Guidance while operating the carshare fleet, Bike Walk Tompkins’ bike library and bike skills classes, and our office space at 315 N. Aurora Street.
Poster – We are following NYS Guidance During COVID-19
Center for Community Transportation COVID-19 Workplace Safety Plan
June 4, 2020
As the Southern Tier enters Phase 2 of the New York Forward plan, we are seeing increased use of carsharing. Ithaca Carshare is committed to staying in touch with state and local health guidelines as we begin to lift some driving restrictions that were put in place in the past months. In the coming days, all Ithaca Carshare members will be able to make their own bookings online again, and some vehicle locations may start to be added back as demand increases. Overnight blocks will remain in place. For necessary bookings that span 11pm-7am hours, special requests may be made by calling in advance. In tandem with the Tompkins County Health Department, we encourage you to consider Density, Distance, Face Coverings, and Symptoms before you decide to travel somewhere.
Driver and passenger requirements:
- Bring and wear a face covering that covers both mouth and nose whenever you are in the car.
- Use the provided hand sanitizer whenever you enter the car. Please report to us if it is missing.
- DO NOT use carshare vehicles while you have any COVID-19 symptoms or have had known exposure to somebody with COVID-19 symptoms. Report any exposure or symptoms if they occur within 14 days of using carshare.
Driver and passenger suggestions:
- Bring your own disinfecting wipes to use on common touch points. Please avoid products that contain bleach.
- Drive with the windows open when the weather permits.
- Avoid or limit passengers from outside your own household.
Please also keep in mind the following:
- Surface transmission of COVID-19 is possible, but is not thought to be the main way the disease spreads.
- Each car sees anywhere from 1-5 bookings pers day.
- Ithaca Carshare staff are disinfecting all common touchpoints in the vehicles on a regular basis. Our disinfecting protocol is available here.
These requirements and suggestions are in place to prevent the potential for spread of COVID-19 in carshare vehicles. They are there to keep you, your fellow carshare members, and our staff team healthy and safe. With your care and cooperation, Ithaca Carshare and other forms of shared transportation will continue to be a safe, economical, and sustainable way to travel. Stay up to date on all local health guidance for COVID-19 at https://tompkinscountyny.gov/
April 17, 2020
Public transit and for-hire vehicle drivers and passengers must now wear face coverings, and everyone should wear them when out in public per Andrew Cuomo’s Executive Orders 202.17 and 202.18, effective 8pm April 17, 2020. Please follow these new public health guidelines while using Ithaca Carshare vehicles. Check out Tompkins Mask Makers to purchase a mask, or DIY it with this guide from the CDC.
March 17, 2020
In this rapidly changing situation, our staff and board are working to balance your transportation needs with appropriate protective measures. Going forward, as responsible public health stewards, we will be limiting Ithaca Carshare service. In response to public health guidance to avoid non-essential travel and to allow our staff to safely complete a thorough daily cleaning of each vehicle, we are implementing the following changes effective immediately:
- Requiring all bookings be made by phone. You’ll now notice a banner on the booking site that says your booking privileges have been suspended. You can still make bookings if needed, just give us a call! To make sure we catch your call, please call 607-277-3210 x2. When you call, we’ll remind you to avoid non-essential travel, and we’ll confirm you and none of your passengers have symptoms, are going fo r testing, or are under quarantine. We will also review appropriate personal protective actions, and remind you to let us know if the hand sanitizer is missing from the vehicle.
- Reduced number of cars available. You’ll notice long bookings preventing you from using some vehicles. With the departure of much of the Cornell student community, we expect a reduced fleet size to be able to fully serve our carsharing community with reduced travel activities. You may need to adjust your favorites or walk a couple extra blocks. We will monitor bookings and adjust fleet availability as needed.
- Elimination of overnight bookings (11p-7a). Most 24-hour stores have reduced their hours. No overnight bookings helps reduce non-essential travel and allows our staff adequate time to clean cars daily. If necessary, familiarize yourself with alternative options for overnight travel (taxi, ride-hailing).
- The Ithaca Carshare office is closed. We’ll still be answering phones 24/7, but our staff will be working from home except as absolutely necessary. If you need to make a cash deposit, you can go to Alternatives Federal Credit Union (125 N. Fulton St) at the drive-through or walk-up and specify that you are making a deposit to the Ithaca Carshare 3100 account, and be sure to indicate your name so we can credit your account. Special arrangements for in-person office visits may be made when necessary.
- Increased cleaning measures: Each vehicle that remains in service will be cleaned daily with a disinfectant on high touch areas.
These are big changes and we don’t yet know how long they will be necessary. We know that Ithaca Carshare is essential for some community members. It is our hope that these significant changes will allow us to continue to provide limited service throughout the COVID-19 response while safeguarding public health as a responsible member of our community.
- If you have an existing booking, please double check your account to confirm if there have been location, vehicle, or vehicle-type changes.
- If you are moving away from Ithaca, please contact us to close your account. This will prevent unexpected charges from a renewal later in the year.
- Please continue to sanitize your hands before and after using shared vehicles, and avoid touching your face.
- DO NOT use Ithaca Carshare vehicles to go to a testing center, if you are exhibiting any COVID-19 symptoms, if you know you have been exposed to someone with a confirmed case, or if you are in quarantine. If you or a passenger later develops symptoms, please alert both us and the Tompkins County Health Department.
- We cannot guarantee that Carshare vehicles will be fully sanitized when you start your trip. Please understand that, as always, your use of Ithaca Carshare is at your own risk.
For more information on symptoms and prevention, head to the CDC’s website. Please contact us with any questions or concerns.