April 17, 2020
Public transit and for-hire vehicle drivers and passengers must now wear face coverings, and everyone should wear them when out in public per Andrew Cuomo’s Executive Orders 202.17 and 202.18, effective 8pm April 17, 2020. Please follow these new public health guidelines while using Ithaca Carshare vehicles. Check out Tompkins Mask Makers to purchase a mask, or DIY it with this guide from the CDC.
March 17, 2020
In this rapidly changing situation, our staff and board are working to balance your transportation needs with appropriate protective measures. Going forward, as responsible public health stewards, we will be limiting Ithaca Carshare service. In response to public health guidance to avoid non-essential travel and to allow our staff to safely complete a thorough daily cleaning of each vehicle, we are implementing the following changes effective immediately:
- Requiring all bookings be made by phone. You’ll now notice a banner on the booking site that says your booking privileges have been suspended. You can still make bookings if needed, just give us a call! To make sure we catch your call, please call 607-277-3210 x2. When you call, we’ll remind you to avoid non-essential travel, and we’ll confirm you and none of your passengers have symptoms, are going fo r testing, or are under quarantine. We will also review appropriate personal protective actions, and remind you to let us know if the hand sanitizer is missing from the vehicle.
- Reduced number of cars available. You’ll notice long bookings preventing you from using some vehicles. With the departure of much of the Cornell student community, we expect a reduced fleet size to be able to fully serve our carsharing community with reduced travel activities. You may need to adjust your favorites or walk a couple extra blocks. We will monitor bookings and adjust fleet availability as needed.
- Elimination of overnight bookings (11p-7a). Most 24-hour stores have reduced their hours. No overnight bookings helps reduce non-essential travel and allows our staff adequate time to clean cars daily. If necessary, familiarize yourself with alternative options for overnight travel (taxi, ride-hailing).
- The Ithaca Carshare office is closed. We’ll still be answering phones 24/7, but our staff will be working from home except as absolutely necessary. If you need to make a cash deposit, you can go to Alternatives Federal Credit Union (125 N. Fulton St) at the drive-through or walk-up and specify that you are making a deposit to the Ithaca Carshare 3100 account, and be sure to indicate your name so we can credit your account. Special arrangements for in-person office visits may be made when necessary.
- Increased cleaning measures: Each vehicle that remains in service will be cleaned daily with a disinfectant on high touch areas.
These are big changes and we don’t yet know how long they will be necessary. We know that Ithaca Carshare is essential for some community members. It is our hope that these significant changes will allow us to continue to provide limited service throughout the COVID-19 response while safeguarding public health as a responsible member of our community.
- If you have an existing booking, please double check your account to confirm if there have been location, vehicle, or vehicle-type changes.
- If you are moving away from Ithaca, please contact us to close your account. This will prevent unexpected charges from a renewal later in the year.
- Please continue to sanitize your hands before and after using shared vehicles, and avoid touching your face.
- DO NOT use Ithaca Carshare vehicles to go to a testing center, if you are exhibiting any COVID-19 symptoms, if you know you have been exposed to someone with a confirmed case, or if you are in quarantine. If you or a passenger later develops symptoms, please alert both us and the Tompkins County Health Department.
- We cannot guarantee that Carshare vehicles will be fully sanitized when you start your trip. Please understand that, as always, your use of Ithaca Carshare is at your own risk.
For more information on symptoms and prevention, head to the CDC’s website. Please contact us with any questions or concerns.
Thank you for your understanding as we navigate these unprecedented times.
Ithaca Carshare staff
Jennifer, Anna, Erik, Katie, Nelson, Grace